Master of Theological Studies
Master of Theological Studies
Continue your educational and spiritual journey with the Master of Theological Studies (MTS) Degree Program at St Stephen’s College! Whether you feel called to make a significant change in your career, or simply seek a deeper insight into the spiritual facets of your life and work, we invite you to consider our MTS Degree program. View MTS Degree Program Brochure.
The St Stephen’s College MTS is a graduate-level gateway program in theology. It offers a study of theological disciplines – broadly understood – which may be used as: preparation for further study; vocational formation; personal integration, and growth. The MTS provides a flexible course of study. Core courses are augmented by electives, peer-learning activities, field education, and ongoing interaction with a vibrant learning community.
- Baccalaureate Degree from an institution of higher education approved by
a Canadian provincial authority, or the demonstrated educational equivalent.
Grade average minimum must be 72%/B/3.0 during last 60 credits of course
- General readiness to function in an integrative theological program in
terms of both personal qualities and academic competencies
- Commitment to one’s lay profession or employment (paid or volunteer) as
- Willingness to engage in a program that is grounded in the Christian faith but is also broadly ecumenical and interfaith; readiness to engage deeply in personal reflection; commitment to the practice of the spiritual or liturgical life
You may choose to apply to one of three streams:
General Theological Studies: Offers an introduction to theological scholar-ship, and provides a forum for examination and integration. Courses and projects provide opportunities to attain general competence and/or to focus in a particular area of interest or interdisciplinary knowledge.
Specialization in Spiritual Care: The foundational MTS curriculum is supplemented by intentional focus on Spiritual Care perspectives and practices. Together they offer preparation for certification by the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care/ Association Canadienne de soins Spirituels (CASC/ACSS).
- A broad, diverse curriculum that combines academic rigor with opportunities for personal reflection and integration
- Small class sizes and individual mentoring
- Inclusive, open to multi-faith and multi-cultural perspectives
- Courses in various formats: week-long intensives, semester, online, individual mentoring
- Dynamic, experienced and accessible faculty who are committed to your support
- Flexibility to develop and focus on your own areas of interest
- Open to diverse and cutting-edge approaches to research, with the option of completing a work-of-art thesis
- A diverse, engaged student community
- An opportunity to discover new depths of mind and spirit
Career Possibilities Include
MTS graduates can make a difference in the world through their presence in:
- Social service agencies
- teaching and educational administration
- spiritual care and chaplaincy in hospitals and prisons
- work in faith communities, youth programs, the arts, and many more facets of our world!