Post-Master’s Art Therapy Certificate
The Post-Master’s Art Therapy Certificate program is designed for those who have previously completed a Master’s or Doctoral degree in a related field. This program is open to students from any faith tradition and is intended for those interested in professional training that integrates their professional and academic learning alongside their personal development and interest in spiritually informed practice.
Upon completion of this program students will be eligible for professional membership as an art therapist. This program is an approved art therapy training program with the Canadian Art Therapy Association. Whatever students’ professional credentialing objectives, the onus will be on them to consult with their chosen professional association’s registering body, acquire information about specific membership categories and specifications, and meet the expressed requirements, both during and subsequent to their academic training.
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
The Post-Master’s Art Therapy Certificate is equivalent to 16 months of full-time study. Students are expected to complete the certificate in 2-5 years; after 5 years students must consult with the Program Chair to implement a completion plan.
- Master’s Degree from an institution of higher education approved by a Canadian provincial authority, or the demonstrated educational equivalent, in the area of health sciences, theology, social work, occupational therapy, counselling, healing arts, education, psychology, fine arts and the expressive arts, or the humanities and human sciences. The Master’s degree must have included a thesis. Grade average minimum must be 72%/B/3.0.
- The academic ability to engage in graduate education; academic background in counselling and/or some experience in a helping role are desirable.
- Background experience in the fine arts, studio art, and the artistic creative process.
- Evidence of commitment and ability to integrate spiritually-informed training into professional practice.
- Upon successful admission to the Program, students will be required to produce a Security Clearance Check.
Applications are invited throughout the year.
A detailed list of program requirements is available under ‘Prospective Students’ ‘Apply to a Program’.