Awards and Honorary Degrees
St. Stephen’s College has two honorary degrees, the Doctor of Divinity and the Doctor of Sacred Letters, and one award, the Award of Excellence, all of which are awarded annually at the Convocation ceremonies in November. Nominations for each degree and award are to be submitted to the Office of the Dean (marked confidential), no later than May 15 of each calendar year. Please see the criteria for each degree and the award below. The instructions for submitting Honorary Degrees and the Award of Excellence can be found here, and here.
DOCTOR OF DIVINITY
The contributions would normally reflect meritorious service, outstanding leadership in denominational or ecumenical contexts, and/or outstanding commitment and contribution to ministry, whether ordered or lay. This degree is awarded for excellence and/or outstanding contributions in one or more of the following areas:
- Pastoral or missionary experience
- Theological scholarship
- Church statesmanship
- Community responsibility
Therefore, for the DD(Hon) you are asked to comment on the following questions:
- How has the nominee’s life and work revealed her/his faith and commitment?
- In what ways have the nominee’s contributions been outstanding or special?
DOCTOR OF SACRED LETTERS
This degree is awarded for special contributions to the life and work of the church, the community, or the college which are not necessarily inclusive of faith ministry. The contributions would normally reflect meritorious service, outstanding leadership or scholarship of a high order which directly or indirectly furthers the objectives of the college. It would reflect excellence and/or outstanding contributions in such fields as:
- service to the academic community
- service to the community at large
- contributions to philosophy, literature, the arts or spirituality which are complementary to the ideals of the college
- exemplary service to the college not primarily of a theological nature
- contributions to religious communities which are complementary to the ecumenical and inter-faith objectives of the college
Therefore, for the DSL(Hon) you are asked to comment on the following questions:
- How has the nominee’s life and work shown service to the college or community?
- In what ways have the nominee’s contributions been complementary to the ideals of the college?
AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
The award may be presented to a person or group making or having made an outstanding contribution through leadership and/or advocacy in the local, provincial, national or international context, or recognized research, related to: the improvement and nurture of society within fields such as education, faith/religious communities, chaplaincy, mediation, management, media services, the arts, health care, counselling, intercultural relationships, and care of the Earth.