St Stephen’s College is a graduate school founded by The United Church of Canada and an Affiliated College of The University of Alberta in Edmonton. An Act to Incorporate St Stephen’s College (April 27, 1927; amended 1968) authorizes St Stephen’s College to confer degrees in theology, including masters level divinity programs in pastoral psychology and counseling. These degrees include: Doctor of Ministry, Master of Theology, Master of Psychotherapy and Spirituality, Master of Theological Studies, and Bachelor of Theological Studies. We are an Associate Member of The Association of Theological Schools in The United States and Canada; and an Approved Training Program of the Canadian Art Therapy Association.
From its beginnings, St Stephen’s has had a reputation for innovation in theological education. Here, we value flexibility, non-traditional modes of learning, an action-reflection model of education, the testing of new methodologies, collegiality, inclusive imagery, self-directed learning, and the integration of theology with the arts. Here, we assume students have as much to offer the learning process as they have to receive from it. Here, we seek to discover new and creative ways of education for the whole person–body, mind and spirit. Here, we are committed to learning that both informs us and transforms us, and that helps us to shape the society in which we live.
Why St Stephen’s?
- Diverse curriculum that combines academic rigour with opportunities for personal reflection and integration
- Flexibility to develop and focus on your own areas of interest
- Open to cutting-edge approaches to research including support for arts-based research
- Inclusive, respectful multi-faith and multi-cultural perspectives
- Dynamic, experienced and accessible faculty teaching in their areas of experience and committed to your learning
- Small class sizes
- Various course formats: week-long intensives, semester, online, individual mentoring
- Practicum placements and supervision
- A diverse engaged student community
- An opportunity to discover new depths of mind and spirit